Public Health Careers
The best reasons to work in public health
The field of public health is emerging with growth and opportunities. Now more than ever is an exciting time to join this thriving career path and become part of bettering the community and environment. Through strengthening collaborations, conducting research, or analyzing data, public health graduates can find employment in the public or private sector, within nonprofit organizations, or in local, state, and federal health departments. In addition, clinicians can enhance their skills with a community-based perspective.
UNE Public Health’s top 10 reasons to pursue a public health career:
- Job Opportunity – The job market is on the rise and the demand for workers will continue to grow. The Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health (ASPPH) estimates that by the year 2020, the United States will be facing a shortfall of at least 250,000 public health workers. There is no better time to earn your MPH degree.
- Self Fulfillment – There is no greater satisfaction in life than knowing that you wake up everyday working to improve your life and the lives of those around you.
- Culture & Diversity – The field of public health opens doors to diverse cultural experiences around the world that help you grow as a person and become exposed to a variety of challenges and opportunities.
- Broad Application – The opportunities are endless when it comes to applying public health skills. Public health expertise is valued in many settings including medical, dental, social work, governmental, and beyond. This will allow you to choose what area best fits your future goals.
- Interprofessional Collaboration – UNE prepares students to collaborate across multiple health professions to promote teamwork and work towards the common goal of building a more patient-centered and community/population-oriented system.
- Cutting Edge & Innovative – Working in public health puts you at the forefront of the major technological advancements and breakthroughs that benefit the local, national, and global community. Being part of this innovative field will give your career a boost of excitement and additional personal meaning while working hard towards a common goal.
- Leadership Opportunities – With the constant growth and demand for expansion within the field of public health, leadership opportunities are abundant and will be plentiful throughout your career. These experiences will expand your skills, prepare you for more responsibility, and build a solid foundation of knowledge.
- Dual Degree Options – Students have the option to pursue dual degrees that compliment their public health interest while strengthening an additional skill set. Examples include DO, DVM, Pharm.
- Accessibility & Flexibility – UNE’s Online Public Health program was designed to allow people to continue their busy lives such as a full-time job or active family life, while still being able to achieve a higher education. The flexibility of the program allows anyone from anywhere to pursue their career goals while maintaining their personal responsibilities.
- Improving Communities – At the end of the day being part of public health is most rewarding because you are involved in the effort to improve the lives of people all around the world. From assisting in a local health care policy, to volunteering in rural communities in Ghana, everything you do is for the betterment of communities.
If you have any questions about the coursework or the program requirements, please speak to one of our enrollment counselors at the email or phone number below.