- PSYO 1030 is a three-credit psychology course that will explore basic concepts and theories related to abnormal psychology and how psychopathology is classified. Emphasis will be placed on understanding the history of abnormal psychology, the negative impact of stigma related to the diagnosis of mental health disorders, strategies for clinical assessment, the biopsychosocial model for explaining mental illness, as well as the classification, etiology, diagnosis, and treatment of the major disorders. Upon completion, students should be able to distinguish between normal and abnormal behavior patterns as well as demonstrate knowledge of etiology, epidemiology, diagnosis and treatment of mental health disorders.
- Explain how psychologists define abnormal psychology and how it is classified.
- Identify types of mental health professionals.
- Explain perceptions, diagnoses, and treatments of mental illness with appropriate historical context.
- Analyze the stigmas associated with mental illness.
- Evaluate mental illness using the biopsychosocial model.
- Employ appropriate methods for clinical assessment.
- Describe the etiology, epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment of various anxiety disorders.
- Describe the etiology, epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment of various obsessive-compulsive and related disorders.
- There are no prerequisites for PSYO 1030.
How do exams work?
All exams are taken online. Major exams are required to be proctored online through ProctorU. For instructions on how to take your exams online, visit UNE Online’s ProctorU site. Please note exams must also be proctored with the UNE-approved external webcam.
How do labs work?
- PSYO 1030 is a lecture-only course. We do not offer an associated lab component for this course.
PSYO 1030: Lecture
- Credits: 3
- Tuition: $1,080
- Registration: $30
- Total: $1,110 (Total payment is due in full at the time of registration)
*The cost of the materials is not included in this total
Required course materials
- Mandatory External Webcam and Whiteboard for Proctored Exams
Bridley, A. & Daffin, Jr., L.W. (2018). Essentials of Abnormal Psychology.
- Lab Materials:
- PSYO 1030 is a lecture-only course. We do not offer a lab component and therefore no lab materials are needing to be purchased.
Complete at Your Own Pace within 16 weeks
24/7 Online Registration
Courses Typically Begin Every Two to Three Weeks
Working at the pace typical for a four-semester hour course, the average student will complete this online course in approximately 16 weeks. Many students have elected an online course for the sake of flexibility. Since the course is self-paced, you may be able to complete the course in less than 16 weeks.
You may enroll for a course at anytime through our self-service registration portal. You will need to enable Flash in your browser first (here are step-by-step instructions). Payment is needed in full at the time of registration.
You must be registered for your class by 12:00 noon EST on the Monday before the class starts. Your official start date is the date that the course opens and you will have 16 weeks from that date to complete your course.
If you have any questions about registration, the coursework or course requirements, please reach out to one of our student service advisors at the email or phone number below.
If you intend to use VA Benefits or Military Tuition Assistance, please do not use the self-registration portal. Please call (855) 325-0894 to be directed to the appropriate office for assistance or view our Veteran Benefits page for more info.