International Admissions

UNE Online welcomes applications from students around the world

The Uni­ver­si­ty of New Eng­land (UNE) is accred­it­ed by the New Eng­land Asso­ci­a­tion of Schools and Col­leges and has been approved by the Depart­ment of Home­land Secu­ri­ty to enroll inter­na­tion­al stu­dents and issue stu­dent and/or exchange vis­i­tor visa-qual­i­fy­ing doc­u­ments (I-20/DS-2019). We com­ply with all reg­u­la­tions of the U.S. Gov­ern­ment SEVIS pro­gram per­tain­ing to the enroll­ment and track­ing of inter­na­tion­al stu­dents.

It is impor­tant to note that appli­cants to online pro­grams are not eli­gi­ble for a stu­dent visa.

Are you an international student?

At UNE, an inter­na­tion­al stu­dent is some­one who is not a U.S. cit­i­zen or per­ma­nent res­i­dent of the U.S. (hold­er of a “Green Card”). Prospec­tive inter­na­tion­al stu­dents must meet the same admis­sions cri­te­ria required of all oth­er appli­cants. 

Admissions requirements

An inter­na­tion­al appli­cant (not a U.S. cit­i­zen or per­ma­nent res­i­dent of the U.S. who will require a visa to study in the U.S.)


An appli­cant with inter­na­tion­al degrees or course­work (a U.S. cit­i­zen or per­ma­nent res­i­dent of the U.S. who has been edu­cat­ed out­side of the U.S. and will not require a visa to study in the U.S.)

  • Gen­er­al admis­sions cri­te­ria for the Uni­ver­si­ty and its aca­d­e­m­ic pro­grams can be found by access­ing the under­grad­u­ate or grad­u­ate admis­sions cat­a­logs or the indi­vid­ual pro­gram or major.
  • In addi­tion to the gen­er­al Uni­ver­si­ty admis­sions cri­te­ria, and pro­gram-spe­cif­ic cri­te­ria, inter­na­tion­al stu­dents must also meet the fol­low­ing: Eng­lish Lan­guage Pro­fi­cien­cy
    • Inter­na­tion­al appli­cants must be able to under­stand and com­mu­ni­cate in Eng­lish to gain full admis­sion to the Uni­ver­si­ty of New Eng­land. If Eng­lish is not your native lan­guage, you will need to sub­mit doc­u­men­ta­tion that indi­cates your lev­el of Eng­lish pro­fi­cien­cy.
    • UNE accepts sev­er­al meth­ods of Eng­lish pro­fi­cien­cy includ­ing the Test of Eng­lish as a For­eign Lan­guage (TOEFL) and the Inter­na­tion­al Eng­lish Lan­guage Test­ing Sys­tem (IELTS), as well as oth­ers. Stu­dents will meet the min­i­mum stan­dards for Eng­lish pro­fi­cien­cy at UNE by demon­strat­ing one of the fol­low­ing:


TOEFL (Tests of Eng­lish as a For­eign Lan­guage) 550 (paper-based)
213 (com­put­er-based)
79 (inter­net-based)
IELTS (Inter­na­tion­al Eng­lish Lan­guage Test­ing Sys­tem) Over­all Band 6.0 or high­er
IB (Inter­na­tion­al Bac­calau­re­ate) Grade 5 or high­er
SAT (Crit­i­cal Read­ing and Writ­ing Sec­tions) 500 or high­er
GRE (Ana­lyt­i­cal Writ­ing Sec­tion) 4.0 or high­er
AP (Eng­lish Lan­guage and Com­po­si­tion Exams) Score of 3 or high­er with col­lege trans­fer cred­it received
One year of Eng­lish com­po­si­tion passed at a US insti­tu­tion, which counts as a trans­fer cred­it at UNE (not ESL) Grade of “C” or high­er

Additional Methods

  • Stu­dents who have attend­ed a region­al­ly accred­it­ed U.S. high school or U.S. Depart­ment of Defense school over­seas for at least three years, or have received an associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s or doc­tor­al degree from a region­al­ly accred­it­ed U.S. col­lege or uni­ver­si­ty will meet Eng­lish pro­fi­cien­cy require­ments.
  • UNE also waives the Eng­lish pro­fi­cien­cy require­ment for stu­dents who grad­u­at­ed from a region­al­ly accred­it­ed school in oth­er Eng­lish-speak­ing coun­tries: Anguil­la, Antigua/Barbuda, Aus­tralia, Bahamas, Bar­ba­dos, Belize, Bermu­da, British Guyana, Cana­da (except Que­bec), Cay­man Islands, Domini­ca, Falk­land Islands, Fiji, Grena­da, Guam, Guyana, Ire­land, Jamaica/other West Indies, Liberia, Montser­rat, New Zealand, South Africa, St. Hele­na, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vin­cent, Trinidad & Toba­go, Turks & Caicos Isle, Unit­ed King­dom, and Vir­gin Islands, and oth­ers.
  • Pass­ing scores on the Unit­ed States Med­ical Licens­ing Exam­i­na­tion (USMLE) with the Edu­ca­tion­al Com­mis­sion for For­eign Med­ical Grad­u­ates (ECFMG) Cer­ti­fi­ca­tion (with the sub­mis­sion of a pho­to­copy of ECFMG cer­ti­fi­ca­tion to UNE Office of Grad­u­ate and Pro­fes­sion­al Admis­sions).

Verification of financial support 

Fed­er­al law requires that we doc­u­ment how you will finance your edu­ca­tion in the U.S., pri­or to issu­ing the appro­pri­ate stu­dent visa appli­ca­tion form. In addi­tion to the appli­ca­tion for admis­sion to your pro­gram of inter­est, all inter­na­tion­al appli­cants must: 

International transcripts 

English translation of transcript

  • All offi­cial scholas­tic records sub­mit­ted in sup­port of your appli­ca­tion must be in Eng­lish or include Eng­lish trans­la­tions.
  • Eng­lish trans­la­tions should be lit­er­al (word-for-word, not inter­pre­tive) trans­la­tions.
  • For spe­cif­ic pro­ce­dures and admis­sion cri­te­ria for each of our aca­d­e­m­ic pro­grams, please check the pro­gram web­site.

Transcript evaluation

All appli­cants with inter­na­tion­al degrees or course­work are respon­si­ble for hav­ing their tran­scripts eval­u­at­ed for degree and grade equiv­a­len­cy to that of an accred­it­ed insti­tu­tion with­in the U.S.

UNE accepts for­eign edu­ca­tion­al cre­den­tial eval­u­a­tions from all NACES® and AACRAO mem­bers.  Please inform your Enroll­ment Coun­selor as to which eval­u­a­tion orga­ni­za­tion you plan to use.

Keep in mind elec­tron­ic eval­u­a­tions are typ­i­cal­ly deliv­ered much faster than post-mail meth­ods.  When request­ing your eval­u­a­tion, please check to see which deliv­ery meth­ods are avail­able.

We have list­ed four pre­ferred orga­ni­za­tions below that offer elec­tron­ic eval­u­a­tion deliv­ery:

Please see the Inter­na­tion­al Stu­dent Admis­sions poli­cies for addi­tion­al require­ments regard­ing Eng­lish lan­guage pro­fi­cien­cy, ECFMG require­ments, and ver­i­fi­ca­tion of finan­cial sup­port.

Your enrollment counselor can help

Con­cerns regard­ing your inter­na­tion­al admis­sions and your abil­i­ty to pro­vide offi­cial tran­scripts should be direct­ed to your enroll­ment coun­selor. For fur­ther assis­tance with secur­ing offi­cial doc­u­ments and infor­ma­tion from your coun­try, please con­tact your local U.S. Embassy/U.S. Consulate/Office of Pub­lic Affairs for a refer­ral to an over­seas edu­ca­tion­al advis­ing cen­ter near you, or con­sult the list avail­able on the U.S. State Depart­ment web­site.

Request Infor­ma­tionApply Now