- NTRN 1010 is a three-credit online nutrition course that focuses on the basic principles of human nutrition. Emphasis is placed on the nutrient requirements of healthy individuals, nutrient categories and their characteristics, physiological functions, metabolism, and food sources. The role of nutrition in health promotion and disease prevention will be discussed in relation to personal health choices and with applications for students contemplating careers in health professions.
- Analyze the multiple processes involved in the body’s handling of nutrients and alcohol, beginning with consumption and ending with waste excretion.
- Characterize the classes of nutrients in terms of their general functions in the body, effects of deficiencies and toxicities, and their food sources.
- Apply biological, biochemical, and physiologic scientific principles to nutrition practice to help improve the nutritional health of individuals and communities.
- Analyze the role of nutrition in health promotion and disease prevention in order to inform research-based recommendations about healthy food choices.
- Evaluate individual and personal dietary intake for nutritional adequacy to promote healthy eating habits.
- Differentiate legitimate and professional nutrition research from food faddism or fraudulent medical information to communicate sound nutrition practices to various audiences.
- There are no prerequisites for NTRN 1010.
How do exams work?
All exams are taken online. Major exams are required to be proctored online through ProctorU. For instructions on how to take your exams online, visit UNE Online’s ProctorU site. Please note exams must also be proctored with the UNE-approved external webcam.
How do labs work?
NTRN 1010 is a lecture-only course. We do not offer an associated lab component for this course.
NTRN 1010: Lecture
- Credits: 4
- Tuition: $1,080
- Registration: $30
- Total: $1,110*
*Total payment is due in full at the time of registration. The cost of the materials is not included in this total.
Required course materials
- Mandatory External Webcam and Whiteboard for Proctored Exams
- Nutrition: Science and Applications. Lori A. Smolin & Mary B. Grosvenor, 4th Edition, Wiley, 2016
- NutriCalc Plus 5.0: Digital Dietary Analysis Tool (available to purchase in your course)
- Lab Materials
- NTRN 1010 is a lecture-only course. We do not offer a lab component and therefore no lab materials need to be purchased.
Complete at Your Own Pace within 16 weeks
24/7 Online Registration
Courses Typically Begin Every Two to Three Weeks
Working at the pace typical for a four-semester hour course, the average student will complete this online course in approximately 16 weeks. Many students have elected an online course for the sake of flexibility. Since the course is self-paced, you may be able to complete the course in less than 16 weeks.
You may enroll for a course at anytime through our self-service registration portal. You will need to enable Flash in your browser first (here are step-by-step instructions). Payment is needed in full at the time of registration.
You must be registered for your class by 12:00 noon EST on the Monday before the class starts. Your official start date is the date that the course opens and you will have 16 weeks from that date to complete your course.
If you have any questions about registration, the coursework or course requirements, please reach out to one of our student service advisors at the email or phone number below.
If you intend to use VA Benefits or Military Tuition Assistance, please do not use the self-registration portal. Please call (855) 325-0894 to be directed to the appropriate office for assistance or view our Veteran Benefits page for more info.