BIOL 1010: Biology I Lecture/Lab
- BIOL 1010 is a four-credit lecture/lab online biology course incorporating an at-home laboratory component. The emphasis of the course is on providing a conceptual framework for understanding the basics of modern biology so that the student will be well equipped to apply this knowledge in his or her further studies.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the basic content of the discipline
- Discuss and demonstrate how scientists solve problems in the discipline
- Evaluate the validity of scientific arguments
- Apply knowledge to scientific problems
- Ask a question and develop a hypothesis that can be tested
- Plan and conduct an investigation to test a hypothesis
- Analyze data and apply scientific ideas to evaluate the strength of a hypothesis
- Communicate results of scientific experiments by basing conclusions on valid and reliable evidence
- There are no prerequisites for BIOL 1010.
How do exams work?
All exams are taken online. Major exams are required to be proctored online through ProctorU. For instructions on how to take your exams online, visit UNE Online’s ProctorU site. Please note exams must also be proctored with the UNE-approved external webcam.
How do labs work?
For the laboratory portion of the course, most weeks will also have an assigned laboratory exercise. Assessment for each lab lesson will be the questions that are listed throughout each lesson. In addition to conducting the laboratory exercises and taking the assessment, you will also need to write a lab report.
BIOL 1010: Lecture/Lab
- Credits: 4
- Tuition: $1,440
- Registration: $30
- Total: $1,470*
*Total payment is due in full at the time of registration. The cost of the materials is not included in this total.
Required course materials
- Mandatory External Webcam and Whiteboard for Proctored Exams
- Biology, 5th edition by Brooker, Widmair, Graham and Stiling (ebook)
- This ebook can be purchased directly in your course upon your course start date.
- Note: Please note if planning to enroll in BIOL 1011: Biology II upon completion of this course, the ebook can be utilized for that course as well.
- Lab Materials
- All lab materials are purchased through your course.
Complete at Your Own Pace within 16 weeks
24/7 Online Registration
Courses Typically Begin Every Two to Three Weeks
Working at the pace typical for a four-semester hour course, the average student will complete this online course in approximately 16 weeks. Many students have elected an online course for the sake of flexibility. Since the course is self-paced, you may be able to complete the course in less than 16 weeks.
You may enroll for a course at anytime through our self-service registration portal. You will need to enable Flash in your browser first (here are step-by-step instructions). Payment is needed in full at the time of registration.
You must be registered for your class by 12:00 noon EST on the Monday before the class starts. Your official start date is the date that the course opens and you will have 16 weeks from that date to complete your course.
If you have any questions about registration, the coursework or course requirements, please reach out to one of our student service advisors at the email or phone number below.
If you intend to use VA Benefits or Military Tuition Assistance, please do not use the self-registration portal. Please call (855) 325-0894 to be directed to the appropriate office for assistance or view our Veteran Benefits page for more info.