MEDT 1000: Medical Terminology
- MEDT 1000 is a three-credit medical terminology course designed to provide a broad and comprehensive understanding of the unique language of medical terminology used in various healthcare settings.
Medical Terminology Course Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge of the basic etymology of medical words.
- Identify the component parts of medical terms and their combinatory meanings (prefixes, suffixes, and combining forms)
- Apply guidelines for proper medical term formation, pronunciation, and spelling
- Apply terminology and abbreviations in regards to systems of the body, diseases, and therapies within real-world situations
Medical Terminology Course Prerequisites
- There are no prerequisites for Medical Terminology, MEDT 1000.
How do Medical Terminology exams work?
All Medical Terminology exams are taken online. Major exams are required to be proctored online through ProctorU. For instructions on how to take your exams online, visit UNE Online’s ProctorU site. Please note exams must also be proctored with the UNE-approved external webcam.
How do labs work?
MEDT 1000 is a lecture-only course. We do not offer an associated lab component for this course.
MEDT 1000: Lecture
- Credits: 3
- Tuition: $1,080
- Registration: $30
- Total: $1,110*
*Total payment is due in full at the time of registration. The cost of the materials is not included in this total.
Required course materials
- Mandatory External Webcam and Whiteboard for Proctored Exams
- Medical Terminology Express: A Short-Course Approach by Body System, 2nd edition, Barbara Gylys and Regina M. Masters
- Lab Materials
- MEDT 1000 is a lecture-only course. We do not offer a lab component and therefore no lab materials need to be purchased.
Complete at Your Own Pace within 16 weeks
24/7 Online Registration
Courses Typically Begin Every Two to Three Weeks
Working at the pace typical for a four-semester hour course, the average student will complete this online course in approximately 16 weeks. Many students have elected an online course for the sake of flexibility. Since the course is self-paced, you may be able to complete the course in less than 16 weeks.
You may enroll for a course at any time through our self-service registration portal. You will need to enable Flash in your browser first (here are step-by-step instructions). Payment is needed in full at the time of registration.
You must be registered for your class by 12:00 noon EST the Monday before the class starts. Your official start date is the date that the course opens and you will have 16 weeks from that date to complete your course.
If you have any questions about registration, coursework, or course requirements, please reach out to one of our student service advisors at the email or phone below.
If you intend to use VA Benefits or Military Tuition Assistance, please do not use the self-registration portal. Please call (855) 325-0894 to be directed to the appropriate office for assistance or view our Veteran Benefits page for more info.