HSTL 1010: Histology (NEW)
Histology Course Overview
- HSTL 1010 is a three-credit histology course that covers the microscopic structure and function of human cells and tissues. Course topics will emphasize the normal anatomy and function of cells and tissues from the eleven organ systems; however, learners will also be exposed to common disease states. Clinical applications will include an introduction to the instrumentation and procedures used in the histology laboratory. Finally, learners will be able to critically evaluate biomedical literature regarding the latest advances in histology.
*This course is considered an upper-level undergraduate course (300 level or above).
Histology Course Outcomes
- Describe the clinical and research applications of histological techniques to human medicine
- Identify various organs by their microscopic structure
- Demonstrate proficiency on the proper use of the light microscope
- Describe common procedures used to prepare and stain tissues in the histology laboratory
- Differentiate between normal and abnormal tissue features found in the eleven organ systems
Histology Course Prerequisites
- There are no prerequisites for HSTL 1010.
How do exams work?
All exams are taken online. Major exams are required to be proctored online through ProctorU. For instructions on how to take your exams online, visit UNE Online’s ProctorU site. Please note exams must also be proctored with the UNE-approved external webcam.
How do labs work?
HSTL 1010 is a lecture-only course. We do not offer an associated lab component for this course.
Tuition & Fees
HSTL 1010: Lecture
- Credits: 3
- Tuition: $1,230
- Registration: $30
- Total: $1,260 (Total payment is due in full at the time of registration)
*The cost of the materials is not included in this total
Required course materials
- Mandatory External Webcam and Whiteboard for Proctored Exams
- Lab Materials:
- HSTL 1010 is a lecture-only course. We do not offer a lab component and therefore no lab materials are needing to be purchased.
As a Reminder
Complete at Your Own Pace within 16 weeks
24/7 Online Registration
Courses Typically Begin Every Two to Three Weeks
Working at the pace typical for a four-semester hour course, the average student will complete this online course in approximately 16 weeks. Many students have elected an online course for the sake of flexibility. Since the course is self-paced, you may be able to complete the course in less than 16 weeks.
You may enroll for a course at any time through our self-service registration portal. Payment is needed in full at the time of registration.
You must be registered for your class by 12:00 noon EST the Monday before the class starts. Your official start date is the date that the course opens and you will have 16 weeks from that date to complete your course.
Your Dedicated Student Service Advisor
If you have any questions about registration, the coursework or course requirements, please reach out to one of our student support team members using live chat(see bottom right) or email below.