- PHYS 1011 is a four-credit lecture/lab online physics course. This course provides a continuing introduction to physics that emphasizes additional concepts than those covered in PHYS 1010 that are the foundation of science and which you may encounter in your professional studies. These topics include thermodynamics, waves and sound, electrostatics, circuits, magnetism, light and optics, and atomic and nuclear phenomena.
- Apply thermodynamics principles to explain various scenarios.
- Predict auditory phenomena using wave properties of sound.
- Design a project, collect data, and interpret results related to thermodynamics and sound.
- Analyze electrostatic distributions and interactions.
- Interpret simple resistive and capacitive DC circuits.
- Explain behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields.
- Solve geometric optics problems using ray tracing methods and equations.
- Summarize physical principles behind observed atomic and nuclear phenomena.
- Discuss potential health concerns associated with digital technology.
- Produce an audio, video, or written report related to modern physics concepts of electromagnetic, atomic, or nuclear phenomena.
- One semester of college-level Algebra
- PHYS 1010 or equivalent Physics course
* Please note these prerequisites are highly suggested and support course preparedness and success. We recommend having completed the listed prerequisites before enrolling and within the past seven years.
How do exams work?
All exams are taken online. Major exams are required to be proctored online through ProctorU. For instructions on how to take your exams online, visit UNE Online’s ProctorU site. Please note exams must also be proctored with the UNE-approved external webcam.
How do labs work?
Labs will focus on discovering relationships between variables involved in our fundamental models of physics. Laboratory instructions and experiment submission forms are provided for each lab and are organized by course week/topic.
PHYS 1011: Lecture/Lab
- Credits: 4
- Tuition: $1,440
- Registration: $30
- Total: $1,470*
*Total payment is due in full at the time of registration. The cost of the materials is not included in this total.
Required course materials
- Mandatory External Webcam and Whiteboard for Proctored Exams
- College Physics, OpenStax College-Rice University. Available for free here
- Lab Materials
- All lab materials are purchased through your course. Please be aware that costs vary for each course and can range from $100- $500+.
Complete at Your Own Pace within 16 weeks
24/7 Online Registration
Courses Typically Begin Every Two to Three Weeks
Working at the pace typical for a four-semester hour course, the average student will complete this online course in approximately 16 weeks. Many students have elected an online course for the sake of flexibility. Since the course is self-paced, you may be able to complete the course in less than 16 weeks.
You may enroll for a course at anytime through our self-service registration portal. You will need to enable Flash in your browser first (here are step-by-step instructions). Payment is needed in full at the time of registration.
You must be registered for your class by 12:00 noon EST on the Monday before the class starts. Your official start date is the date that the course opens and you will have 16 weeks from that date to complete your course.
If you have any questions about registration, the coursework or course requirements, please reach out to one of our student service advisors at the email or phone number below.
If you intend to use VA Benefits or Military Tuition Assistance, please do not use the self-registration portal. Please call (855) 325-0894 to be directed to the appropriate office for assistance or view our Veteran Benefits page for more info.