- PSYO 1020 is a three-credit psychology course that will explore basic concepts and theories of human development with a focus on the nine major periods of life from prenatal development to death and dying. The nature of interactions between an individual’s biology and their environment will be examined by integrating information from a wide array of research studies. These studies consist of, but are not limited to, ground-breaking historic studies to recent studies of physical, neurological, and cognitive development.
- Describe the scientific methodology and research designs typically employed in research in human development.
- Identify the nature of interaction between biology and environment and its influence on development throughout the lifespan.
- Discuss human genetics and issues related to prenatal development, birth, and infancy.
- Discuss the major developmental milestones in physical, cognitive and socioemotional domains throughout the human lifespan.
- Analyze significant theories of cognitive development, including those of Piaget, Vygotsky, and the information-processing approach.
- Examine key issues of development in adulthood, including marriage and divorce, parenting, midlife, and careers choices.
- Analyze the key issues of development in late adulthood, including retirement, living arrangements, cognitive changes, death and grieving.
- There are no prerequisites for PSYO 1020.
How do exams work?
All exams are taken online. Major exams are required to be proctored online through ProctorU. For instructions on how to take your exams online, visit UNE Online’s ProctorU site. Please note exams must also be proctored with the UNE-approved external webcam.
How do labs work?
- PSYO 1020 is a lecture-only course. We do not offer an associated lab component for this course.
PSYO 1020: Lecture
- Credits: 3
- Tuition: $1,080
- Registration: $30
- Total: $1,110 (Total payment is due in full at the time of registration)
*The cost of the materials is not included in this total
Required course materials
- Mandatory External Webcam and Whiteboard for Proctored Exams
- Information not yet available.
- Lab Materials:
- PSYO 1020 is a lecture-only course. We do not offer a lab component and therefore no lab materials are needing to be purchased.
Complete at Your Own Pace within 16 weeks
24/7 Online Registration
Courses Typically Begin Every Two to Three Weeks
Working at the pace typical for a four-semester hour course, the average student will complete this online course in approximately 16 weeks. Many students have elected an online course for the sake of flexibility. Since the course is self-paced, you may be able to complete the course in less than 16 weeks.
You may enroll for a course at anytime through our self-service registration portal. You will need to enable Flash in your browser first (here are step-by-step instructions). Payment is needed in full at the time of registration.
You must be registered for your class by 12:00 noon EST on the Monday before the class starts. Your official start date is the date that the course opens and you will have 16 weeks from that date to complete your course.
If you have any questions about registration, the coursework or course requirements, please reach out to one of our student service advisors at the email or phone number below.
If you intend to use VA Benefits or Military Tuition Assistance, please do not use the self-registration portal. Please call (855) 325-0894 to be directed to the appropriate office for assistance or view our Veteran Benefits page for more info.