Master of Public Health at the University of New England
The Master of Public Health (MPH) is a graduate degree designed to prepare public health leaders with the knowledge and skills to prevent disease and injury and promote the health of individuals and communities.
By focusing on practice and management, an MPH from UNE will provide you with the knowledge, skills, and values to gain employment or promotion in the dynamic field of public health.
Designed for the working professional wishing to earn their graduate education, the asynchronous distance education format accommodates both full-time and part-time students.
Offered fully online with no campus visits required. This CEPH-accredited MPH and is a rigorous yet flexible generalist degree program.
MPH program highlights
- 46 credit hours
- Complete your degree in as few as 18 months
- 100% online – no campus visits required
- Learn anytime, from any place
- Dynamic faculty of practitioners, researchers & educators
- No GRE required to apply
- Focused study in areas of interest
- Regionally accredited by the New England Commission on Higher Education (NECHE)
- Accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH)
The Master of Public Health and Graduate Certificate in Public Health programs at the University of New England are accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH). Click here to learn more »
The University of New England is regionally accredited by the New England Commission on Higher Education (NECHE). NECHE is the regional accreditation agency for colleges and universities in the six New England states.
Accreditation is a review of the quality of educational institutions and programs. In the United States, accreditation is a leading indicator that an institution or program provides a high-quality education.
The Master of Public Health at UNE Online is the only CEPH-accredited 100% online public health program in Maine.
Master of Public Health curriculum structure
The program was developed to prepare you to lead public health initiatives around the world. The curriculum involves:
- Online lectures, instructor-led discussions and assessments in an asynchronous format
- Preparation outside of class, including readings, projects, and writing papers
- A culminating practice experience that provides a setting for you to apply what you have learned in the program and the opportunity to demonstrate leadership, communication, and teamwork skills
Master of Public Health program course list
All students must complete the following required courses (34 credits)
- GPH 714 Principles of Public Health (Credits: 3)
- GPH 712 Principles of Epidemiology (Credits: 3)
- GPH 716 Biostatistics (Credits: 3)
- GPH 719 Research Methods (Credits: 3)
- GPH 726 Social and Behavioral Health (Credits: 3)
- GPH 738 Program Planning and Evaluation (Credits: 3)
- GPH 702 An Interprofessional Approach to Policy and Advocacy (Credits: 3)
- GPH 706 Public Health Administration (Credits: 3)
- GPH 722 Introduction to Environmental Health (Credits: 3)
- GPH 743 Applied Practice Experience (Credits: 3)
- GPH 744 Integrated Learning Experience (ILE) (Credits: 1)
- Select one of the following ILE Project courses:
• GPH 751 Advanced Policy Analysis (Credits: 3)
• GPH 752 Advanced Research Methods (Credits: 3)
• GPH 753 Advanced Program Evaluation (Credits: 3)
All students must complete 4 of the following electives (12 credits)
- GPH 704 Public Health Law and Ethics (Credits: 3)
- GPH 709 Public Health Emergency Preparedness (Credits: 3)
- GPH 713 Infectious Disease Epidemiology (Credits: 3)
- GPH 717 Applied Epidemiology (Credits: 3)
- GPH 721 Foundations of Maternal and Child Health (Credits: 3)
- GPH 724 Occupational Health (Credits: 3)
- GPH 725 Public Health Financial Management (Credits: 3)
- GPH 727 Grant Writing (Credits: 3)
- GPH 729 Health Education Design (Credits: 3)
- GPH 732 Community Assessment (Credits: 3)
- GPH 733 Health Informatics (Credits: 3)
- GPH 734 Obesity Epidemiology (Credits: 3)
- GPH 740 Global Health (Credits: 3)
- GPH 795 Independent/Directed Study (Credits: 3)
Click here for the full course descriptions for the Master of Public Health curriculum.
Interprofessional Electives for the Master of Public Health
Students also have the option to take electives from our other online graduate programs. A full list of these interprofessional courses can be found here:
Your Public Health Applied Practice Experience – A curriculum highlight
The Master of Public Health curriculum includes an applied public health practice experience that provides students with the opportunity to work in public health organizations in their communities, and network extensively with the public health workforce prior to graduation. All Master of Public Health candidates must complete the three-credit Applied Practice Experience (GPH 743).
An engaged, expert faculty
With a mission centered on teaching, research and service, the UNE MPH online program boasts a renowned faculty who are leaders in public health research with extensive collaborative partnerships in the public health community. The MPH faculty is a dynamic group of experienced public health practitioners, researchers and educators. Faculty actively engage with students from across the nation and around the world through online group discussion, email, and traditional office hours. Students are encouraged to get to know each other by working in online groups and discussions.
Succeed in an exciting and rewarding career
Start making your impact today! The MPH program is a fully online, interactive program that will provide you with the essential knowledge, skills and values to become a leading public health professional. UNE Public Health graduates make a considerable impact in the field of public health. The MPH curriculum is designed to enhance students’ skills in a variety of public health areas including:
- Financial Management
- Global Health
- Program Planning
- Public Health Policy
If you have any questions about the coursework or the program requirements, please speak to one of our enrollment counselors at the email or phone number below.