PHSL 1010: Online Lecture and Lab
Medical Physiology is one-semester, 4 credit-hour lecture and lab course. In this course, learners will be introduced to core concepts that shape our knowledge of the workings of the human body. Cell-cell communication and membrane dynamics will first be studied as central themes that govern coordination in individual cells and tissues, and within and between organ systems.
For more detailed information about this Physiology course, please request the PHSL 1010 syllabus.
This course is delivered using online streaming audio of lectures and PowerPoint slides along with hands-on labs, readings, and interactive discussion board activities.
Labs for this course are done hands-on with a kit that is mailed to the student’s home. The lab kit contains experiments and lab-grade materials that mirror the traditional campus laboratory experience. These engaging lab assignments will guide you every step of the way, helping you to understand the course materials and to learn how it applies to your everyday life.
Laboratory experiments include:
- Respiratory Response to Exercise
- Cardiovascular Physiology
- Water, Electrolytes, and Acid-Base Balance
Required Course Materials
There are 3 required materials for this course.
- Mastering A&P Access Code (Modified Mastering)
- One version of the Human Physiology: An Integrated Approach text (options listed below)
- Hands-On Learning lab kit (instructions listed below).
Note: You must register for Modified Mastering through Blackboard. We recommend that you always access your Modified Mastering course through Blackboard after that.
- Silverthorn, Dee U., et al. Human physiology: an integrated approach, 7e. San Francisco: Pearson, 2016
You have the following purchasing options:
Option 1. Purchase access when registering for Modified Mastering from Blackboard
- Sign in to Blackboard and enter your Blackboard course.
- Select any Pearson link in the Content area.
- Enter your Pearson account username and password.
- If you don’t have a Pearson account, select Create and follow the instructions.
- Buy access using a credit card or PayPal account.
- Optional loose leaf text can be ordered here: http://www.mypearsonstore.com/bookstore/masteringap-print-offer-for-human-physiology-an-integrated-9780133983333 (Please note that this edition is printed on demand and ships in 2 business days, per information from the publisher.)
Option 2. Purchase a hardcover bundle from MyPearsonStore
- Mastering A&P access code (w/ eText) AND Hardcover Book – ISBN 978–0321970336
For the best experience, check the system requirements from the publisher. Please note, some activities in this course use Flash, and are therefore not screen-reader accessible, and may not work on a mobile device. If the browser you’re using no longer supports Flash, try a different browser and download the Flash plug-in for this content.
It is mandatory for students enrolled in the course to order a lab kit.
The kit must be purchased directly through Hands-on Labs and cannot be purchased second hand or from another vendor.
Students must complete both parts of every lab – the assigned experiment and the corresponding assignment online – to earn a grade for the lab.
Hands-on Learning Lab Kit: LP-2854-AP-01: LabPaq, Anatomy & Physiology, 4 Labs
The kits MUST BE ORDERED IMMEDIATELY UPON ENROLLMENT in order to ensure materials are on hand for the start of the course. Review the HOL Return and Refund Policy
Note: Kits can take 5–7 business days to arrive. Once you receive the kit, please use these directions for registration.
GO TO THIS LINK: https://www.holscience.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=LOGN
- ENTER Login: C000384
- ENTER Password: labpaq
- Choose LP-2854-AP-01: LabPaq, Anatomy & Physiology, 4 Labs
- Review the HOL Return and Refund Policy
For the best HOL experience, please use Chrome, Firefox or Safari
Tuition and Fees
The cost of the materials is not included in this total.
Complete at your own pace
Working at the pace typical for a four semester hour course, the average student will complete the online course in approximately 16 weeks. Many students are nontraditional students who have elected an online course for flexibility. Since the course is self-paced, you may complete the course in less than 16 weeks.
Prior coursework for success
One semester of college-level biology, preferably college-level anatomy or physiology, must be completed before registering for this course.
*This prior coursework must have been completed successfully within the past 7 years.
All exams are taken online. Major exams are required to be proctored. For instructions on how to take your exams online, visit Online Learning’s ProctorU site.
Enrollment online anytime
You may enroll at any time via our self-service registration portal. Payment is due in full at the time of registration. Your official start date is the date that the course opens and you will have 16 weeks from that date to complete your course.
Courses start on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month
You must be registered for your class by 12:00 noon EST on the Monday before the class starts. See the UNE Academic Calendar for more details.
Assistance with registration
If you have any questions or need help with registering for your class, please call an Enrollment Counselor at 1–855-325‑0894, email email@example.com, or view the online FlexReg course registration tutorial.
If you intend to use VA Benefits or Military Tuition Assistance, please do not use the self-registration portal. Please call 1–855-325‑0894 to be directed to the appropriate office for assistance.