Computer Proficiency Requirements
Online Graduate Programs at UNE
Although your instructor is there to support you, you will need basic computer literacy and a certain level of computer proficiency to participate comfortably in an online course environment.
At minimum, online students should have proficiency with the following:
- Using a keyboard and a mouse
- Sending and receiving email
- Using common software applications such as those found in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) or similar suites like Google Apps or Open Office alternatives.
- Using a text editor (changing fonts, inserting links, using spell check, cutting and pasting text, etc.)
- Saving and retrieving files in different formats (.docx, .pdf, .pptx etc.)
- Installing and updating software
- Selecting, copying and pasting text
- Accessing the Internet using a browser such as Chrome or Firefox
- Knowing how to find information for resetting basic browser settings (clearing cache/history, cookies)
- Performing basic Internet search with appropriate search terms
- Locating and copying web addresses/URLs
- Browsing for files to attach and upload; extracting zipped files
For a link to to basic technical skills you will need in you online courses, please see our Technical Requirements page.