Education Graduate Certificates Admission Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or above from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or its equivalent.
- See International Admissions for details regarding evaluation of international degrees for grade and degree equivalency.
- Successful completion of an undergraduate degree, typically defined by a 3.0 cumulative GPA, or better. However, applications are reviewed holistically as a determination of academic readiness.
- Computer with internet connection, including the hardware and software requirements described on the Technical Requirements page. Must also possess sufficient computer skills to navigate the internet as all classes are accessed 100% online.
What the program looks for in an applicant
Successful applicants for our Graduate Certificate in Teaching Online and Graduate Certificate in Designing Learning Experiences are individuals with a passion for lifelong learning. These certificates are designed for those interested in best practices in remote and online teaching and learning. Students with the capacity to manage multiple competing priorities are most successful in our online learning environment.
- Create an account for the Online Application Portal, start a new application and fill out all required fields.
- Upload all supporting documents
- Professional Resume/CV: Must be current and include current and professional roles and responsibilities
- Goal Statement/Essay: Please answer the following prompts in a 500-1000 word essay: What are your career goals and motivation for graduate study? Which UNE Online program will help you move toward your career goals and why? How do you plan on successfully adding graduate coursework to your current workload?
Your written statement gives us the opportunity to identify if our programs align with your professional experience and goals. We also evaluate your capacity to engage in graduate-level writing and thinking.
- Request an official transcript reflecting conferral of bachelor’s degree or above.
- Official transcripts must be submitted to UNE directly from the institution. Please contact your college or university as soon as possible and request that they send an official transcript via mail to the address below or by certified electronic delivery. We will notify you as soon as we receive your official transcript.
- If your transcript is from an international institution, it will need to be translated and/or evaluated for U.S. grade and degree equivalency and sent to us directly from the evaluation company. Please contact an enrollment counselor for more information.
- If sent electronically, request that your transcript be sent to: email@example.com
- If mailed, request that your transcript be addressed to:
University of New EnglandCollege of Graduate & Professional StudiesAttention: Education716 Stevens AvenuePortland, ME 04103
- Please Note: Additional transcripts may be required or requested. You can always submit additional transcripts if you feel they would strengthen your application.
- Pay non-refundable $40 application fee.
Procedures and Policies
Upon acceptance, students may apply to transfer up to one 3-credit course (maximum of three credits) into a graduate certificate program within the Graduate Programs in Education.
In order to be considered for transfer, courses must:
- Be classified as graduate level.
- Be worth 3 credits.
- Have been taken within five years of application.
- Have been completed with a grade of “B” or better.
- Be equivalent to one of the required program courses.
To request consideration for transfer credit, a student must provide an official transcript and a course syllabus for each course. Your enrollment counselor or student support specialist can assist you with this request.
Students must apply to one certificate only and may not earn a second certificate by adding the fifth course.
All application materials submitted to UNE are valid for 12 months from the date received by the University. To avoid needing to re-request transcripts and letters of recommendation, we recommend that you complete your application and enroll in a timely manner. In the event that you need to re-apply or re-activate your application, materials older than 12 months will need to be re-submitted without exception.
Students not seeking a degree may enroll in individual courses as a non-matriculated student, space permitting and upon approval by the program manager. Non-matriculated students must hold a bachelor’s degree and submit an official transcript reflecting conferral of the degree. Students may not move from non-matriculated to matriculated status within the same semester. Please contact an enrollment counselor to assist in this process.
More information explaining the admissions requirements for international students or applicants with international degrees can be found on the International Admissions page. If you have specific questions, please contact an enrollment counselor for personal guidance through the application process.
Enrollment counselors are here to help you understand the Education admission requirements and assist you throughout the entire application process.
If you have any questions about the graduate programs in Education coursework or the program requirements, please speak to one of our enrollment counselors at the email or phone number below.