MSEd, MSEd-RS, and MSEd-IE Admission Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or above from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or its equivalent.
- See International Admissions for details regarding evaluation of international degrees for grade and degree equivalency.
- Successful completion of an undergraduate degree, typically defined by a 3.0 cumulative GPA, or better. However, applications are reviewed holistically as a determination of academic readiness.
- Computer with internet connection, including the hardware and software requirements described on the Technical Requirements page. Must also possess sufficient computer skills to navigate the internet as all classes are accessed 100% online.
- The MSEd – Reading Specialist (MSEd-RS) and MSEd – Inclusion Education (MSEd-IE) programs require one year of teaching experience, minimum and current employment in an educational setting or ability to access an environment in which you can apply course concepts and strategies.
What these programs look for in an applicant
Successful Master of Science in Education (MSEd), MSEd–Reading Specialist (MSEd-RS), and MSEd – Inclusion Education (MSEd-IE) applicants are working education professionals with a passion for lifelong learning. These programs are designed for educators who want to make informed decisions about their practice through research. They also exhibit curiosity, a natural perseverance, and an inclination to take on new challenges. The ability to learn and adapt to new tools and technology is an asset in these programs. Students with the capacity to manage multiple competing priorities are most successful in our online learning environment.
- Create an account for the Online Application Portal, start a new application and fill out all required fields.
- Upload all supporting documents
- Professional Resume/CV: Must be current and include current and professional roles and responsibilities
- Goal Statement/Essay (500 – 1000 words): Please describe your motivation for graduate study. How has your experience as an educator led you to your desired program of study? How will this program support you in meeting your professional goals (e.g., professional certification, promotion, new role)? Please describe your interest in a particular focus area. Is there a student or classroom experience that inspired you to apply? Finally, why have you chosen to learn online? What drew you to this format and what concerns do you have? Your written statement gives us the opportunity to identify if our programs align with your professional experience and goals. We also evaluate your capacity to engage in graduate-level writing and thinking.
- The MSEd–Reading Specialist and MSEd – Inclusion Education programs also require your current teaching license or certification.
- Request an official transcript reflecting conferral of bachelor’s degree or above.
- Official transcripts must be submitted to UNE directly from the institution. Please contact your college or university as soon as possible and request that they send an official transcript via mail to the address below or by certified electronic delivery. We will notify you as soon as we receive your official transcript.
- If your transcript is from an international institution, it will need to be translated and/or evaluated for U.S. grade and degree equivalency and sent to us directly from the evaluation company. Please contact an enrollment counselor for more information.
- If sent electronically, request that your transcript be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If mailed, request that your transcript be addressed to:
- Please Note: Additional transcripts may be required or requested. You can always submit additional transcripts if you feel they would strengthen your application.
- Pay non-refundable $40 application fee.
Procedures and Policies
Upon acceptance, students may apply to transfer up to three 3-credit courses (maximum of nine credits) into the Master of Science in Education (MSEd) program. However, transfer credit cannot be accepted into the MSEd – Reading Specialist (MSEd-RS) or MSEd – Inclusion Education (MSEd-IE) programs or any other program leading to State of Maine certification.
In order to be considered for transfer credit into the MSEd, courses must:
- Be classified as graduate level.
- Be worth 3 credits.
- Have been taken within five years of application.
- Have been completed with a grade of “B” or better.
- Be equivalent to one of the required program courses or an elective course that meets the goals of the student’s education.
To request consideration for transfer credit, a student must provide an official transcript and a course syllabus for each course. Your enrollment counselor or student support specialist can assist you with this request.
All application materials submitted to UNE are valid for 12 months from the date received by the University. To avoid needing to re-request transcripts and letters of recommendation, we recommend that you complete your application and enroll in a timely manner. In the event that you need to re-apply or re-activate your application, materials older than 12 months will need to be re-submitted without exception.
Students not seeking a degree may enroll in individual courses as a non-matriculated student, space permitting and upon approval by the program manager. Non-matriculated students must hold a bachelor’s degree and submit an official transcript reflecting conferral of the degree. Students may not move from non-matriculated to matriculated status within the same semester. Please contact an enrollment counselor to assist in this process.
More information explaining the admissions requirements for international students or applicants with international degrees can be found here on the International Admissions page. If you have specific questions, please contact an enrollment counselor for personal guidance through the application process.
Enrollment counselors are here to help you understand the Education admission requirements and assist you throughout the entire application process.
If you have any questions about the graduate programs in Education coursework or the program requirements, please speak to one of our enrollment counselors at the email or phone number below.