Online CAGS and Post-Master’s Certificate FAQ

Getting an advanced degree online at University of New England

Show All | Hide All


Online learning

  • Is UNE new to online education?

    The University of New England has over ten years of experience in distance education learning. The University of New England started offering CAGS programs online in 1997.

  • Is online learning for me?

    Students who graduate from the University of New England’s online programs receive the same degree as students who attend classes on our campus. The diploma does not distinguish if you were an online student or a traditional campus-based student. The degree you earn is the same. In fact, we strongly encourage you to attend your graduation ceremony to celebrate your accomplishments. Online learning is ideal for working professionals because it provides the opportunity to study when it is convenient for you. The flexibility this program offers makes it possible or even the busiest individuals to earn their degree. Add to that, the many levels of unprecedented support that you will receive throughout the program and it is easy to see that this may be just the educational model you have been looking for.

  • I am not computer savvy; can I do this?

    We realize that many students are computer novices, so the University of New England provides special support to new students during an extensive orientation to online courses prior to starting classes.

Online CAGS program

  • How long will it take to earn my CAGS?

    Some CAGS program can be completed in less than two years. Get in touch with an enrollment counselor to find out the particulars of your program. 

  • What should I look for in a distance CAGS program?

    The strongest distance education programs are those with proven track records, experience low student attrition rates, receive consistently high student satisfaction scores and require minimal travel. The University of New England has all of these important attributes. Our expertise has been successfully demonstrated.

  • Is this program accredited?

    Yes. The University of New England is regionally accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc., (NEASC) which accredits schools and colleges in the six New England states. Accreditation by the Association indicates that the institution has been carefully evaluated and found to meet standards agreed upon by qualified educators.

  • Why is regional accreditation important?

    Regional accreditation is the primary type of institutional accreditation recognized in the United States. Some institutions with online programs hold national accreditation because they are unwilling or unable to meet the rigorous standards of regional accreditation. You should also know that many educational institutions holding regional accreditation do not recognize credits or degrees earned at institutions that are nationally accredited. This is very important if you plan on transferring from one college or university to another part way through a degree program, or if you plan to pursue additional degrees at different colleges or universities.

  • Do your programs lead to certification?

    The CAGS: AEL is approved for Building Administrator certification (040) in Maine, and the MSEd: Reading Specialist is approved for (092) Literacy Coach Certification in Maine. None of our online graduate programs are approved for initial teacher certification. 

  • What is the difference between a Master’s Degree and a Certificate program?

    The Master’s Degree is an academic degree earned by individuals who have undergone study demonstrating a master or high-order overview of a specific field of study or area of professional practice. The Certificate is a post-Master’s certificate designed to enhance professional development focus.  

  • My goal is to become an Administrator in the State of Maine. Which CAGS program do you recommend?

    If you currently have your Master’s Degree, our 30-credit CAGS in Advanced Educational Leadership would lead to Building Administrator 040 certification in the State of Maine. 

Post-Master’s Certificate


Classroom Access

      • What does it mean when we say you will need access to a classroom to fulfill some aspects of your program at UNE?

        While many students at UNE are working as classroom teachers and administrators in schools across the US and internationally, we recognize that there are other professional educational pathways for which UNE’s programs may be a powerful opportunity for growth.

        To ensure your success please carefully read the descriptions of typical assignments below.

        Assignments that involve analysis of classroom and school data: How learning is measured in a classroom or school-wide setting? You may need access to classroom assessment data, standardized test data, or commonly developed and scored assessments to answer this question. If you are working as an administrator, teacher or paraprofessional you probably already work with these sorts of data regularly.

        Assignments that involve curriculum and instruction: What is the adopted curriculum of your school or district? What training goes with it? Who is responsible for choosing and reviewing it? Beyond a traditional classroom setting, other school personnel such as school counselors, librarians often have curricular responsibilities. Other topics central to your school setting might cover how is instruction evaluated? How are new teachers mentored?

        Portfolios of professional work: Some courses may require that you create, utilize or reflect upon collections of your professional work. This could include lesson and unit plans, strategic plans for faculty development, presentations to colleagues, or committee work.


  • How much does the program cost?

    Course tuition can be found on the tuition costs page. The University of New England’s CAGS and Post-Master’s Certificate programs offer online students the same outstanding education that campus-based students receive. Easy access to affordable education helps us fulfill our goal of ensuring that every individual who has the desire to further their education has the opportunity to do so.

Transfer credits


Request InformationApply Now

>> Next: About the CAGS and Post-Master’s Certificate programs