Interactive Map of State Certification Requirements for Social Work

Social work licensing goes by a variety of acronyms: LCSW, PIP, SWP, LICSW, CSW, LSW, CMSW, LMSW, and many more. To earn one of these licenses, most states require that you earn a Master of Social Work (MSW) from a CSWE-accredited school. Some states may also mandate that you take a test, accumulate a certain amount of supervised clinical experience, and/or complete ongoing license verification.

Licensure provides a wealth of opportunities for practicing social workers. You can read more about it in our blog: Social Work Licensure – To license or not to license?

If you’re looking into our program with the intention of applying for licensure, we recommend that you first review the specific requirements for the state you want to practice in by clicking on that state in the map below.

If you have additional questions about how UNE can meet your educational needs for social work licensing, please email one of our Enrollment Counselors at or call (877) 863-6791.

Select a state to go to the corresponding state certification website: