Post-Master’s Professional Education in Literacy (K-12)
Enhance your teaching skills with a post-master’s professional education from UNE
The concentration in Literacy (K-12) is a 15-credit online program in literacy for K-12 educators who wish to delve deeper into the importance of reading and writing for all students to be successful.
Current research and theory are translated into practice with each and every class. Teachers will be coached to implement these literacy program strategies and join colleagues online to critique the outcome.
Additionally, assessment in literacy will be linked to next steps in connecting data to teaching practice. Study skills and literacy interventions that can be used within the content area will be explored. In short, the basic premise of this concentration is that literacy skills are central for all students to succeed.
This is a 15-credit post-master’s professional education program.
Please note: This online program in literacy does not lead to reading specialist certification.
- 15-credit hour program
- Complete your degree in less than one year
- 100% online – no campus visits required
- Learn anytime from any place
- No GRE Required
- Dynamic faculty of practitioners, researchers and educators
- Regionally accredited by the New England Association of Schools & Colleges (NEASC)
The University of New England is regionally accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (NEASC CIHE). NEASC is the nation’s oldest regional accrediting association whose mission is the establishment and maintenance of high levels of education, from pre-kindergarten through the higher education doctoral level. Accreditation is the review of the quality of educational institutions and programs. In the United States, accreditation is a major way that the public knows that an institution or program provides a high quality education.
Click here to learn more »
US News and World Report Ranking
The University of New England claimed a spot in U.S. News & World Report’s 2015 rankings for Best Online Graduate Education Programs. UNE placed 100th out of 250 public and private colleges and universities listed in the report. UNE is one of only 25 private universities appearing in the top 100, and is one of just two Maine institutions included in the ranking.
- EDU 740 Supporting Literacy Development (3 Credits)
- EDU 741 Literacy Assessments as Teaching Tools (3 Credits)
- EDU 742 Study Skills & Content Literacy Instruction (3 Credits)
- EDU 743 Connecting Reading with Writing for Success (3 Credits)
- EDU 744 Meeting Student Literacy Challenges (3 Credits)