Master of Science in Literacy (K-12)
University of New England online
The Literacy (K-12) concentration devotes 15 credit hours of the Masters of Science in Education Online program to a focused study of literacy instruction. This concentration is for educators who wish to delve deeper into the importance of reading and writing for all students. Because of the flexible online format, working professionals can advance their education while increasing the performance of their students through immediate implementation of new strategies in their own classrooms.
Current research and theory will be translated into practice during each class. Teachers will be coached to implement these literacy program strategies and will join colleagues online to critique the outcome. Additionally, teachers will learn how to apply literacy assessment to instruction. Study skills and literacy interventions that can be used within the content area will be explored. Literacy skills are essential for students to excel in any subject, and this program helps educators assess student progress in every area of their education.
Please note: This program does not lead to reading specialist certification.
- 30-credit hour program
- Complete your degree in just under two years
- 100% online – no campus visits required
- Learn anytime from any place
- No GRE Required
- Dynamic faculty of practitioners, researchers and educators
- Regionally accredited by the New England Association of Schools & Colleges (NEASC)
The University of New England is regionally accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (NEASC CIHE). NEASC is the nation’s oldest regional accrediting association whose mission is the establishment and maintenance of high levels of education, from pre-kindergarten through the higher education doctoral level. Accreditation is the review of the quality of educational institutions and programs. In the United States, accreditation is a major way that the public knows that an institution or program provides a high quality education.
Click here to learn more »
Best Online Master's Program 2015
UNE's online Master of Science in Education program has been recognized as one of U.S. News and World Report's Best Online Education Programs for 2013. U.S. News & World Report evaluated hundreds of regionally accredited online master's degree programs to make their selections based on admissions selectivity, student engagement, faculty credentials and training, and student services and technology, noting that quality online graduate education programs provide students with opportunities to interact with their instructors and fellow classmates, as well as diverse online learning technologies that allow student flexibility. Additionally, a strong support structure that includes career guidance, academic assistance, and financial aid resources was an important consideration identified. UNE is proud to be recognized among the top schools to meet this criteria. Learn more about the U.S. News & World Report rankings for 2015 »
- EDU 600: Teacher as Leader (Credits: 3)
- EDU 610: Differentiation Theory & Strategies (Credits: 3)
- EDU 615: Motivational Theory & Class Management (Credits: 3)
- EDU 690: Action Research (Credits: 3)
- EDU 695: Portfolio (Credits: 3)
- EDU 740 Supporting Literacy Development for All Learners (3 Credits)
- EDU 741 Literacy Assessments as Teaching Tools (3 Credits)
- EDU 742 Study Skills & Content Literacy Instruction for All (3 Credits)
- EDU 743 Connecting Reading with Writing for Success (3 Credits)
- EDU 744 Meeting Student Literacy Challenges (3 Credits)