Master of Science in Education in Literacy (K-12)
University of New England online
The Master of Science in Education in Literacy (K-12) devotes 15 credit hours of the Master of Science in Education Online program to a focused study of literacy instruction. This concentration is for educators who wish to delve deeper into the importance of reading and writing for all students. Because of the flexible online format, working professionals can advance their education while increasing the performance of their students through immediate implementation of new strategies in their own classrooms.
Current research and theory will be translated into practice during each class. Teachers will be coached to implement these literacy program strategies and will join colleagues online to critique the outcome. Additionally, teachers will learn how to apply literacy assessment to instruction. Study skills and literacy interventions that can be used within the content area will be explored. Literacy skills are essential for students to excel in any subject, and this program helps educators assess student progress in every area of their education.
Please note: This program does not lead to reading specialist certification.
- 30-credit hour program
- Complete your degree in just under two years
- 100% online – no campus visits required
- Learn anytime from any place
- No GRE Required
- Dynamic faculty of practitioners, researchers and educators
- Regionally accredited by the New England Association of Schools & Colleges (NEASC)
The University of New England is regionally accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (NEASC CIHE). NEASC is the nation’s oldest regional accrediting association whose mission is the establishment and maintenance of high levels of education, from pre-kindergarten through the higher education doctoral level. Accreditation is the review of the quality of educational institutions and programs. In the United States, accreditation is a major way that the public knows that an institution or program provides a high quality education.
Click here to learn more »
US News and World Report Ranking
The University of New England claimed a spot in U.S. News & World Report’s 2015 rankings for Best Online Graduate Education Programs. UNE placed 100th out of 250 public and private colleges and universities listed in the report. UNE is one of only 25 private universities appearing in the top 100, and is one of just two Maine institutions included in the ranking.
- EDU 600 Teacher as Leader (Credits: 3)
- EDU 610 Differentiation Theory & Strategies (Credits: 3)
- EDU 615 Motivational Theory & Class Management (Credits: 3)
- EDU 690 Action Research (Credits: 3)
- EDU 695 Portfolio (Credits: 3)
- EDU 740 Supporting Literacy Development for All Learners (3 Credits)
- EDU 741 Literacy Assessments as Teaching Tools (3 Credits)
- EDU 742 Study Skills & Content Literacy Instruction for All (3 Credits)
- EDU 743 Connecting Reading with Writing for Success (3 Credits)
- EDU 744 Meeting Student Literacy Challenges (3 Credits)
Click here for the full course descriptions for the Literacy (K-12) curriculum.