Graduate Programs in Health Informatics Admission Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or above from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent.
- See International Admission for details regarding the evaluation of international degrees for grade and degree equivalency.
- Applications are reviewed holistically as a determination of academic readiness. The admissions committee values previous academic performance as indicated on transcripts and considers it as part of the review process.
- Computer with internet connection, including the hardware and software requirements described on the Technical Requirements page. Must also possess sufficient computer skills to navigate the internet as all classes are accessed 100% online.
What this program looks for in an applicant
We recognize that health informatics is a rapidly evolving field of study and that applicants from diverse backgrounds are drawn to this program. Successful students have rich backgrounds with a variety of professional and academic experiences. There is no one typical background, but rather the successful student is characterized by a lifelong curiosity, a natural perseverance, and an inclination to take on new challenges.
The ability to learn and adapt to new tools and technology is an asset in this program. Students with the capacity to manage multiple competing priorities are most successful in our online learning environment.
Go To Application
- Create an account for the Online Application Portal, start a new application and fill out all required fields.
- You will be asked to provide contact information for three references, preferably of supervisory or leadership positions.
- Goal Statement/Essay: 500 – 1000 words. This statement should describe personal development and future goals; relevant professional experience; interest in graduate study in health informatics; and the capacity to succeed in a distance learning format, i.e., self-motivated, self-starter, comfortable with and access to a computer and the internet.
- Upload all supporting documents
- Professional Resume/CV: Must be current and include current professional roles and responsibilities
- Request an official transcript reflecting conferral of bachelor’s degree or higher. Applicants with international degrees should contact an enrollment counselor for more information.
- Official transcripts must be submitted to UNE directly from the institution. Please contact your college or university as soon as possible and request that they send an official transcript via mail to the address below or by certified electronic delivery. We will notify you as soon as we receive your official transcript.
- If your transcript is from an international institution, it will need to be translated and/or evaluated for U.S. grade and degree equivalency and sent to us directly from the evaluation company. Please contact an enrollment counselor for more information.
- If sent electronically, request that your transcript be sent to: email@example.com
- If mailed, request that your transcript be addressed to:
University of New England
College of Graduate & Professional Studies
Attention: Health Informatics
716 Stevens Avenue
Portland, ME 04103
- Please Note: Additional transcripts may be required or requested. You can always submit additional transcripts if you feel they would strengthen your application.
- Pay non-refundable $40 application fee.
Procedures and Policies
Upon acceptance, students may apply to transfer up to three, 3-credit courses (maximum nine semester credits) into the master’s program and one 3-credit course into a graduate certificate program.
In order to be considered for transfer, courses must:
- Be classified as graduate level.
- Have been taken within five years of application.
- Have been completed with a grade of “B” or better.
- Be equivalent to one of the required program courses.
To request consideration for transfer credit, a student must provide an official transcript, the transfer credit form, and a course syllabus for each course. Your enrollment counselor or student support specialist can assist you with this request. Transfer credit is awarded at the discretion of the program.
All application materials submitted to UNE are valid for 12 months from the date received by the University. To avoid needing to re-request transcripts and letters of recommendation, we recommend that you complete your application and enroll in a timely manner. In the event that you need to re-apply or re-activate your application, materials older than 12 months will need to be re-submitted without exception.
Students not seeking a degree may enroll in individual courses as a non-matriculated student, space permitting and upon approval by the program manager. Non-matriculated students must hold a bachelor’s degree and submit an official transcript reflecting conferral of the degree. Students may not move from non-matriculated to matriculated status within the same semester. Please contact an enrollment counselor to assist in this process.
More information explaining the admissions requirements for international students or applicants with international degrees can be found here on the International Admissions page. If you have specific questions, please contact an enrollment counselor for personal guidance through the application process.
Your Dedicated Enrollment Counselors
Enrollment counselors are here to help you understand the Health Informatics admission requirements and assist you throughout the entire application process.
Enrollment Counselor III
Senior Enrollment Counselor
If you have any questions about the Health Informatics coursework or the program requirements, please speak to one of our enrollment counselors at the email or phone number below.