ENGL 1010: English Composition I (NEW)
English Composition I Course Overview
- ENGL 1010 is a three-credit college writing course to prepare students for the fundamental knowledge and skills of college-level expository writing and critical thinking. Areas of focus include idea presentation and organization, audience, point of view, voice and tone, paragraph and essay coherence, precision, and word choice, and technology-mediated evaluation of grammar, mechanics, and originality. Students are introduced to strategies for rhetorical writing, writing-as-process and product, and thinking-as-writing. An introduction to argument structure and writing from sources culminates in an academic essay as a comprehensive course assignment.
*This course is considered an upper-level undergraduate course (300 level or above)
English Composition I Course Outcomes
- Demonstrate writing as iterative and process-oriented
- Distinguish audience, context, and purpose for written communication
- Apply rhetorical strategies for effective context-specific written communication
- Evaluate writing for essential linguistic structures of grammar, mechanics, and originality using technology
- Construct a relevant and compelling argument essay supported by credible secondary sources
- Critically reflect on the development of new and current academic writing knowledge and skills
English Composition I Course Prerequisites
- There are no prerequisites for ENGL 1010.
How do exams work?
All exams are taken online. Major exams are required to be proctored online through ProctorU. For instructions on how to take your exams online, visit UNE Online’s ProctorU site. Please note exams must also be proctored with the UNE-approved external webcam.
How do labs work?
ENGL 1010 is a lecture-only course. We do not offer an associated lab component for this course.
ENGL 1010: Lecture
- Credits: 3
- Tuition: $1,110
- Registration: $30
- Total: $1,140 (Total payment is due in full at the time of registration)
*The cost of the materials is not included in this total
Required course materials
- Mandatory External Webcam and Whiteboard for Proctored Exams
- All materials are Open Educational Resources (OERS) which are available within the course. There is no course material cost.
- Lab Materials:
- ENGL 1010 is a lecture-only course. We do not offer a lab component and therefore no lab materials are needing to be purchased.
Complete at Your Own Pace within 16 weeks
24/7 Online Registration
Courses Typically Begin Every Two to Three Weeks
Working at the pace typical for a four-semester hour course, the average student will complete this online course in approximately 16 weeks. Many students have elected an online course for the sake of flexibility. Since the course is self-paced, you may be able to complete the course in less than 16 weeks.
You may enroll for a course at any time through our self-service registration portal. Payment is needed in full at the time of registration.
You must be registered for your class by 12:00 noon EST the Monday before the class starts. Your official start date is the date that the course opens and you will have 16 weeks from that date to complete your course.
If you have any questions about registration, the coursework or course requirements, please reach out to one of our student service advisors at the email or phone number below.
If you intend to use VA Benefits or Military Tuition Assistance, please do not use the self-registration portal. Please call (855) 325-0894 to be directed to the appropriate office for assistance or view our Veteran Benefits page for more info.