Graduate Certificate in Designing Learning Experiences
Learn new techniques and skills in learning experience design
The 12-credit Graduate Certificate in Designing Learning Experiences is designed to provide students with the instructional design methodologies and skills, informed by learning science, needed to design effective online learning experiences.
This Skill Set Is More Important Now Than Ever
Modern education needs agile instruction, including the ability to quickly pivot to online learning when other modalities become unavailable. By earning this certificate, you will be equipped with the skills and techniques needed to become an expert in online learning design.
Who Should Enroll in this Certificate?
This certificate is ideal for individuals aspiring to work in the field of learning experience design or who feel this skill set would help achieve their professional goals in online learning.
- 12-credit hour certificate
- Complete in as few as eight months
- Multiple start times: spring, summer, and fall
- 100% online – no campus visits required
- Dynamic faculty of practitioners, researchers, and educators
- Regionally accredited by New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE)
This course is intended for individuals who are transforming curriculum for online learning. Participants will design and create online learning experiences using the Community of Inquiry framework and innovative technologies. Emphasis is placed on producing activities that engage learners, foster collaboration, and assess learning in the online environment using appropriate technology.
Online learning must be rigorous, relevant, and designed to meet the needs of all students. Participants will explore current practices in online curriculum design and instructional strategies that focus on maximizing student engagement with technology-enabled learning content, the instructor, and with other students.
This course will guide participants to utilize a variety of assessment strategies to evaluate student learning in online courses. Participants will develop tools for formative and summative assessment and design rubrics that place emphasis on providing actionable feedback to online students. It will also examine common challenges of assessment in online courses.
This course addresses authentic online learning challenges by ensuring that participants research and implement emerging technologies for the intended audience using methods such as asynchronous video, emerging digital narrative forms, simulations, and gamification.
Certificate Learning Outcomes
Students will learn to:
- Recognize and apply best practices in online course design, including designing for equity for all students and applying the principles of universal design for learning. (Best Practices)
- Design and create effective technology-enabled online learning experiences. (Technology)
- Evaluate and apply multiple strategies supporting virtual assessment. (Assessment)
- Determine favorable methods to engage online learners and construct courses that incorporate such methods. (Engagement)
- Analyze methods of providing meaningful feedback to online students. (Feedback)
- Address authentic online learning challenges by researching and implementing appropriate technologies and methods such as asynchronous video, emerging digital narrative forms, simulations, and gamification. (Advanced Technology: EDU 635)
MSEd Stackability Opportunity
Graduates of this certificate can apply the credits earned in the Graduate Certificate to our Master of Science in Education (MSEd) program as well. This is a great opportunity for students to earn their M.S. in Education at a lower cost and a quicker completion time.
Accreditation is the review of the quality of educational institutions and programs. In the United States, accreditation is a major way that the public knows that an institution or program provides a high quality education. The University of New England is regionally accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). Learn more »
Suggested next steps:
If you have any questions about the coursework or the program requirements, please speak to one of our enrollment counselors at the email or phone number below.