Interactive Map of State & Province Certification Requirements for Social Work

Social work licensing goes by a variety of acronyms: LCSW, PIP, SWP, LICSW, CSW, LSW, CMSW, LMSW, and many more. To earn one of these licenses, most states or provinces require that you earn a Master of Social Work (MSW) from a CSWE-accredited school. Licensure provides a wealth of opportunities for practicing social workers. You can read more about it in our blog: Social Work Licensure – To license or not to license?

If you’re looking into our program with the intention of applying for licensure, we recommend that you first review the specific requirements for the state or province you want to practice in by clicking on that state or province in the map below.

UNE’s Graduate Programs are aligned with state licensure requirements in Maine. If you are considering obtaining licensure outside of Maine, please research the state licensing requirements for the state in which you intend to practice as these requirements vary from state to state. UNE has not made a determination in any state beyond Maine. To learn more about each state’s licensure requirements, please visit our Licensure Notification page and select your program of interest. In addition, please feel free to discuss any questions you may have about this matter with your program’s department chair/program director.

If you have additional questions about how UNE can meet your educational needs for social work licensing, please email one of our Enrollment Counselors at or call (877) 863-6791.

Select a state or province to go to the corresponding certification website:




If you have any questions about application requirements, the coursework or program requirements, please speak to one of our enrollment counselors at the email or phone number below.