COMN 1010: Public Speaking (NEW)
Public Speaking Course Overview
COMN 1010 is a three-credit public speaking course that will examine the core principles and contexts of communication, specifically in oral presentations. Students will learn to recognize the interrelationships among speaker, listener, context, organization, language, and delivery. The course will include information on proper techniques for research, writing, and delivering oral presentations, as well as the preparation of audio visuals to enhance semester presentations. Students will also learn and demonstrate skills in argumentation, listening, and critical thinking.
*This course is considered an upper-level undergraduate course (300 level or above).
Public Speaking Course Outcomes
- Compose and structure information that is appropriate for a particular purpose, listener, and occasion
- Develop research skills and techniques for specific rhetorical situations
- Organize, develop, and adapt messages for the intended audience
- Compose thoughtful and cohesive written and oral communications
- Evaluate presentations for efficacy
- Demonstrate performance skills associated with the five basic components of effective individual oral presentations including content, organization, physical expression, vocal delivery, and language
- Prepare audio, video, and slideware presentations based on basic design principles
Public Speaking Course Prerequisites
- There are no prerequisites for COMN 1010.
How do exams work?
All exams are taken online. Major exams are required to be proctored online through ProctorU. For instructions on how to take your exams online, visit UNE Online’s ProctorU site. Please note exams must also be proctored with the UNE-approved external webcam.
How do labs work?
COMN 1010 is a lecture-only course. We do not offer an associated lab component for this course.
COMN 1010: Lecture
- Credits: 3
- Tuition: $1,110
- Registration: $30
- Total: $1,140 (Total payment is due in full at the time of registration)
*The cost of the materials is not included in this total
Required course materials
- Mandatory External Webcam and Whiteboard for Proctored Exams
- Lab Materials:
- COMN 1010 is a lecture-only course. We do not offer a lab component and therefore no lab materials are needing to be purchased.
Complete at Your Own Pace within 16 weeks
24/7 Online Registration
Courses Typically Begin Every Two to Three Weeks
Working at the pace typical for a four-semester hour course, the average student will complete this online course in approximately 16 weeks. Many students have elected an online course for the sake of flexibility. Since the course is self-paced, you may be able to complete the course in less than 16 weeks.
You may enroll for a course at any time through our self-service registration portal. Payment is needed in full at the time of registration.
You must be registered for your class by 12:00 noon EST the Monday before the class starts. Your official start date is the date that the course opens and you will have 16 weeks from that date to complete your course.
If you have any questions about registration, the coursework or course requirements, please reach out to one of our student service advisors at the email or phone number below.
If you intend to use VA Benefits or Military Tuition Assistance, please do not use the self-registration portal. Please call (855) 325-0894 to be directed to the appropriate office for assistance or view our Veteran Benefits page for more info.