UNE Joins Top 60 in 2020 U.S. News & World Report, Grad Education Rankings
UNE’s commitment to providing a high-quality educational experience has resulted in a rise to the top 60 Online Programs in Graduate Education in the 2020 U.S. News & World Report rankings.
The online Graduate Education Programs at the University of New England are dedicated to advancing and developing reflective and resourceful teachers and school leaders who are competent, caring and qualified.
UNE’s online graduate degrees in Education provide students with the knowledge and skills to become leaders and shape the future of education.
Degrees and certificates in Education at UNE Online include:
- MSEd: Master of Science in Education
- MSEd RS: Master of Science in Education – Reading Specialist
- CAGS: Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study
- CAGS AEL: Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study in Advanced Leadership
- PMC: Post-Master’s Certificate
- Ed.D.: Doctor of Education (Ed.D.)
The Education program at UNE Online offers a robust, engaging, and highly interactive online learning experience. Some of the outstanding facets of the graduate programs in Education include:
- Student support services: UNE Online’s unique model matches each student with their own Student Support Specialist. This high level of support helps students successfully navigate the online student experience and achieve their goals.
- Refreshed classes: Courses are updated on a consistent schedule, using the latest pedagogical best practices, educational technologies, and techniques that move a student toward a greater understanding. These teaching methods ultimately move students toward the achievement of greater independence in the learning process.
- Synchronous opportunities: While the program is 100% online and can be completed asynchronously, many students report feeling more connected and supported when there are opportunities to meet “live” with the instructor and other students. We have integrated these optional elements into our classes through the implementation of video chat office hours and other opportunities for collaboration, debate, and conversation.
- Experienced and engaged faculty: Our faculty hail from all across the United States, are well-connected within their communities and hold leadership positions in the field of education. In addition, terminal degrees are held by the majority of our faculty.
- Optimal faculty ratio: Class sizes average 18 students – small enough so everyone is heard, large enough to support a diversity of perspectives.
- Student collaboration: Discussion posts, small groups, and collaborative group projects are featured in more than half of our courses.
- Active Learning: The majority of course assignments are practical and allow students to apply what they are learning in an authentic classroom setting right away.
- Multimedia: Many course videos feature formative activities such as interactive questions to check for understanding. This provides an engaging way for students to practice with the course material.
U.S. News & World Report’s rankings condense a great deal of information about the quality of the education at each school they evaluate, making it easier for students to compare the academic quality of schools.
How rankings are calculated
U.S. News & World Report’s rankings are based on collected data from more than 1,800 colleges and include such factors as SAT and ACT scores, acceptance rates, number of faculty, student-faculty ratios, and graduation and retention rates. A full write-up on their methodology can be found on the U.S. News & World Report rankings website. The following are the five categories in which the Education program was judged:
- Engagement: Quality online graduate education programs grant aspiring teachers and educational administrators opportunities to readily interact with their instructors and classmates. In turn, instructors are not only accessible and responsive, but they are also tasked with helping to create an experience rewarding enough that students stay enrolled and complete their degrees in a reasonable amount of time.
- Services and Technologies: Programs that incorporate diverse online learning technologies allow greater flexibility for students to take classes from a distance. Outside of classes, strong support structures provide learning assistance, career guidance and financial aid resources commensurate with quality campus-based programs.
- Student Excellence: Student bodies entering with proven aptitudes, ambitions and accomplishments can handle the demands of rigorous coursework. Furthermore, online degrees that schools award judiciously will have greater legitimacy in the job market.
- Faculty Credentials and Training: Strong online programs employ instructors with academic credentials that mirror those of instructors for campus-based programs, and they have the resources to train these instructors to teach distance learners.
- Expert Opinion: A survey of high-ranking academic officials in education helps account for intangible factors affecting program quality that statistics don’t capture. Also, employers may hold in high regard degrees from programs that academics respect. The weight was increased because of greatly improved response rates to U.S. News’s most recent peer assessment survey.
For more information on the suite of graduate Education programs offered by UNE Online, visit the website at https://online.une.edu/education/degrees/ or download a program brochure:Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) | Education | Graduate Programs in Education | Master of Science in Education